Arts and Culture
Culture encompasses diverse avenues of expression in architecture, arts, history, language, education, leisure, work and daily life. It's all about our ability to 'tell our story' - an essential and defining human characteristic.
Councils are vital in enabling local people to participate in artistic and cultural expression. In a climate of expanding global homogeneity, local production and participation is increasingly important.
Councils serve important roles in delivering, funding, hosting, supporting and promoting arts and culture in their communities. In NSW they manage more than 4000 cultural sites, deliver services, programs, events and local cultural planning.
Councils invested $435.7m in arts and culture during 2012-13, a 3 per cent increase from $421.8m in 2011-12 (Australian Bureau of Statistics, 2014).
Current LGNSW initiatives
Communities and Culture - LGNSW Research into Arts, Culture and Heritage
Communities and Culture is a unique, qualitative study undertaken by LGNSW which identifies how councils deliver arts, culture and heritage services and, in doing so, highlights that existing quantitative data vastly under-represents the actual commitment of councils in NSW.
In-depth interviews were conducted with council general managers and senior directors between November 2015 and August 2016.
Communities and Culture reveals an otherwise told story of council activities which add life and value to communities across NSW.
Download the Communities and Culture report here (PDF, 1.2MB).
Employment of professionals to manage council museum and heritage collections is an emerging trend in NSW. Since 2015 LGNSW has collaborated with Museums and Galleries NSW to facilitate pilot roundtable gatherings of local government employed staff who manage museum and heritage collections. The Roundtable is aimed at scoping how this sector of professionals can be better supported and recognised within the context of local government.
Featuring presentations from key arts and culture sector representatives followed by a networking event for delegates.
A chance for councils to learn how peers manage their tourism industries.
A twice-yearly meeting attended by state and territory local government associations including LGNSW.
Past LGNSW initiatives
- The Creative Ageing LG Grants program supported NSW council projects which increased the number of older people participating in creative activities.The program was delivered with the support of the NSW Government through the Office for Ageing.
- The 2014 Local Government Arts and Culture Awards - recognised arts and culture practices undertaken by NSW councils.
- The 2014 Local Government Arts and Culture Summit - showcased 63 Local Government inititaives for arts and culture and was held 26-27 May as part of VIVID Ideas.
- LGNSW partnered with Arts NSW to help councils pursue the Fourth Cultural Accord (PDF, 296KB).
- The NSW Government's Arts and Cultural Policy was developed through Arts NSW. LGNSW was actively involved in representing Local Government interests.
- LGNSW partnered in the production of a cultural mapping and planning resource for councils, 'All Culture is Local', which was launched in November 2013.
LGNSW's Arts and Cultural Development Program is supported by the NSW Government through Arts NSW.