LGNSW has long recognised the need for change in the local government sector to address the many barriers that prevent our members from fully meeting the current demands of their communities. These barriers include:
- Insufficient revenue
- Cost and responsibility shifting
- Overly prescriptive and inappropriate legislation and regulation
- Poor intergovernmental processes and role clarity.
Following a three-year Independent Review of Local Government, the NSW Government released its Fit for the Future (FFTF) program in September 2014. This issue has been highlighted as one of Local Government NSW's key initiatives. Please see the Fit for the Future key initiative for more information.
LGNSW is keenly aware of the challenges which have been facing councils for many years.
To respond to these challenges, we:
- Engaged with the Independent Local Government Review Panel in 2011-2013
- Supported implementing the Destination 2036 Action Plan in 2012
- Ran our Modernising Local Government project (feeding into Destination 2036) in 2010
- Sponsored the Independent Inquiry into the Financial Sustainability of NSW Local Government (Percy Allan Report) in 2005-2006.
Submissions and Reports
2011 and Previous